“So how do you get children under the age of reason or even above the age of reason to pray 5 decades of the Rosary every day? How can they sit still for 15 minutes? Is it possible?”
Here are some tips on how to maintain the daily family Rosary:
1. Pray using alternation (The father prays first half of Our Father and everyone else prays second half - same goes for Hail Mary and Glory be).
2. Pray the Rosary after dinner but right before bed - this means homework needs to be finished before dinner. Homework kills the Rosary if you don't stay on top of it. You'll also need to say goodbye to watching prime time television - since this is the ideal window of praying together as a family.
3. Pray the Holy Rosary always at the same place at the exact same time. Devotions become strong - even invincible - by constant custom and habit.
4. Pray the Rosary in a special room and set up a little altar with a Bible on it, candles, a crucifix, statue or image, holy water, or a relic.
5. Dim the lights and light the candles when you begin. If you let the little ones light the candles - they will love it. Make this a "special time" different from other times.
6. Maybe begin with a hymn or a Gospel reading to slow things down and set the tone.
7. The father sets the example. I recommend that the father kneel for the whole Rosary. This communicates importance and solemnity to the Rosary.
8. Make it a rule that the child who prays all the responses and volunteers to lead a mystery (10 beads) gets to gets to blow out the candle at the end. This gives an incentive to pray the prayers - especially for the younger ones. For some reason, blowing out the candle is a really big deal to younger children.
9. End with invoking everyone's patron saint (your children's names, confirmation names, and other patrons). E.g. "Saint Thomas: pray for us. Saint Jude: pray for us. Saint Anne: pray for us." Always finish with St Joseph and then Holy Mary Mother of God. Then say "Sacred Heart of Jesus: have mercy on us," three times. For a plenary indulgence, make sure to pray an Our Father and Hail Mary for the Pope.
10. If family Rosary is new, start with one decade for a week. Then go to three for a week. Then go to five decades on the third week. Then don't ever stop.
11. After the daily Rosary is established in your home, have each child announce a mystery and pray the whole decade. This gives them confidence in praying and makes it natural. Plus, they'll learn to memorize all the mysteries of the Holy Rosary.”
“If you do this, then you'll be producing saints for the future.”
“The family that prays together stays together.” – Fr. Peyton
Novena to Our Lady of the Rosary
My dearest Mother Mary, behold me, your child, in prayer at your feet. Accept this Holy Rosary, which I offer you in accordance with your requests at Fatima, as a proof of my tender love for you, for the intentions of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in atonement for the offenses committed against your Immaculate Heart, and for this special favor which I earnestly request in my Rosary Novena:
(Mention your request)
I beg you to present my petition to your Divine Son. If you will pray for me, I cannot be refused. I know, dearest Mother, that you want me to seek God’s holy Will concerning my request. If what I ask for should not be granted, pray that I may receive that which will be of greater benefit to my soul.
I offer you this spiritual “Bouquet of Roses” because I love you. I put all my confidence in you, since your prayers before God are most powerful. For the greater glory of God and for the sake of Jesus, your loving Son, hear and grant my prayer. Sweet Heart of Mary, be my salvation